Rocky Mountain Psychological Services
Pinecone pediatrics and Rocky Mountain Psychological Services are partnering to improve coordination of care and decrease barriers to access
Why did Pinecone Pediatrics partner with Rocky Mountain Psychological Services?
The diagnosis and management of mental health often requires a multidisciplinary approach
- Your pediatrician is skilled in the diagnosis and medical management of many mental health challenges including:
- Global Developmental Delay
- Your pediatrician may reach out for help from other types of physicians or psychologists if:
- Treatment is not producing the desired effects
- There are coexisting mental health diagnoses
- There is a history of medication intolerances
- Your child's symptoms present a diagnostic challenge because of subtlety, complexity, severity or atypical features.
- The Canadian Pediatric Society recommends a team-based approach for the diagnosis of autism (particularly in resource-rich contexts like Calgary). This team will include your pediatrician as a lead, and be supported by other health care professionals such as psychologists, psychiatrists, developmental pediatricians, speech and language pathologists and occupational therapists.
- Your pediatrician will require help from psychologists for the formal assessment of:
- Intellectual ability (including gifted)
- Learning disabilities
- Cognitive skills (and more).
- Most pediatricians are not formally trained in therapy and will rely on therapists and psychologists to support with that aspect of your care. Most mental health conditions benefit from a combination of medical management and therapy in various forms.
RMPS: A leader in the field of pediatric psychologist services in the Calgary area
Expanding their services to include assessments on-site at Pinecone Pediatrics in the NW.
- Specialized Assessments (cognitive, academic, social/emotional) including assessments for:
- Learning disabilities
- Play Therapy
- Expressive Arts Therapy
- Talk Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Neurofeedback Therapy
- ADHD coaching/Executive Skills Coaching
For more information on RMPS:
Cost and How to access
- Psychological services provided by Rocky Mountain DO NOT require a referral from a physician and can be accessed through self-referral.
- Rocky Mountain provides a free 15 minute meet-and-greet to discuss your needs and discuss how best to utilize your insurance coverage to minimize cost - call Cheryl at the front desk at (587) 885-2767 to learn more.
- You can also access services by contacting Rocky Mountain Psychological Services at (403) 245-5981. If you're looking for services in the NW, make sure to mention it.
- Costs are aligned with recommendations from the Psychologists' Association of Alberta and will vary substantially depending on the assessments performed.
- There is no direct financial benefit to families that comes from accessing the services of RMPS at Pinecone instead of their downtown offices, however we feel that there will be substantial benefit to families from increased communication between the medical and psychological care team(s) resulting in optimal care coordination.